Hey everybody! My name is Marina. I have a blog with my english class and on my blog, I have written opinions, facts, stories, etc. Enjoy!

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Cornell Notes for Third Source

TITLE: Little girls L O S T
AUTHOR: Sandy Fertman Ryan
YEAR PUBLISHED: 2007

Girls feel like that have no other choice but to run away from home and become a prostitute when in horrible situations. There are many reasons a teen might run away. One could be that they are having “family problems, emotional abuse, neglect, drugs, the death of a parent, or school issues.”

“But, in reality, these girls are bravely struggling to find their way to a normal life.”

The problem with runaways is that the teenager or child might end up in vulnerable places. Places were predators “hunt for their pray.”

“That, along with the really low self-esteem it causes, creates the “perfect storm” for a girl to become vulnerable.”

Another reason that children might run away is because they are living in a troubled home. For one girl, Chelsea, explained that her “extremely violent home life was the reason she ended up on the streets.”

“My little brother and I were constantly physically and emotionally abused by my father. I’d try and take my brothers whippings for him so he wouldn’t get hurts,” Chelsea says.

No comments: